“Servi per amore” – Saluzzo 19th-25th March 2019
From 19-25 March in Saluzzo we celebrated the annual meeting of the experienced guys in community. The motto of the meeting was “ eccomi” (Here I am). We started the day of the feast of St. Joseph who said “Here I am” to being the guardian of the Holy family in humility, silence , fidelity and we ended with the feast of the Annunciation when Mary said her unconditional “Yes” to God’s plan.
On the first day the bishop welcomed us to the celebration of Holy Mass during which three brothers were consecrated as acolytes – another step on their journey to priesthood. Then we started our period of total silence, even during meals and free time: an important time for us to reflect on our walk and our future vocation.
Every day started with praying the rosary followed by holy Mass then we listened to the catechism of Mother Elvira which was then discussed by the priest; while we ate lunch we listened to Pope Francis’s words and we prayed the second rosary. In the afternoon we had an Holy hour, another catechism, a time for sharing in small groups, rosary and dinner.
The themes for different days included :
- Here I am – to life: understand the importance of the life, to permit love to enter into us: to be able to give of ourselves and to be free from selfishness and falsity. Father Stefano invited us to recognise that the community life will free us from suffering and fear like a second birth and also to think that we are precious in God’s eyes, to trust in ourselves and in our gifts;
- Here I am – to the truth: we thought about how to be truthful by examining our past, our sins, our compromises, our lies and to be without fear of judgement and with awareness of the infinite mercy of God. Father Andrea invited us to think about where, how and when the evil entered our past lives; he encouraged us to shake up our consciences;
- Here I Am – to prayer: we were encouraged to consider why we prayed, how we prayed and the benefit of our prayer. Father Massimo asked us to analyse the quality of our prayers so that we could avoid mechanical prayer. He underlined the importance of community prayer but also of personal prayer during Eucharistic adoration;
- Here I am – to friendship and work: understanding what is true friendship, that it involves sincerity and fairness and a willingness to sacrifice yourself; understanding that with work we regain our dignity;
- Her I am – to give ourselves: this is the big opportunity to express the goodness within us. Father Marco spoke about different vocations: about missions, marriage and the consecrated life.
On the Sunday we visited the house of formation in Pagno and we listened to many testimonies from the nuns. In the evening we had a big surprise when we left to travel to Loreto where on Monday we welcomed Pope Francis who was visiting the “Holy House”. In a very crowded space in front of the basilica we celebrated mass and afterwards the Holy Father spoke to us. He said the elderly and sick are not to be rejected from today’s society.
Again this year the meeting was a great time of growth. A time to re-charge our batteries, to be aware of how good it is to give ourselves to otherswith joy and serenity.
Thank you to the Community for the gift.
Mary and Joseph we ask your intercession for those who are still suffering from addiction. Pray for us.